Sunday, March 27, 2022

Removing studs from GoKart hubs

 


Part of the kit for attaching my back wheels to my rear axle are these very nice anodised aluminium hubs, which I was first shown by Jim Tanner, an engineer and celebrated cyclekart builder, who has come up with some adapter plates which fit these three-point hubs to the four screw arrangement on the Pit Bike wheels . The hubs come with studs fixed in them, but these need removing, to be replaced with cap head screws. Removing them takes a bit of technique. They are tightly screwed in with something like locktite, which resists their removal.

I didn't want to gnarl up my hubs in a vice, so I clamped them with wood screwed to a bench, providing some leverage so that the hubs wouldn't turn.


I then screwed two nuts on to a stud and locked them in place by tightening them against each other.


This method provides something for a spanner to work against so that 
the stud will screw out of the hub. 

To soften the locktite-like-stuff, I applied heat with a hot-air gun. This was only unnecessary with one of the studs, and did the trick with all the others. I went gently with this because it is difficult to know how much heat will be needed and you don't want to affect the component.



There's a very satisfying feeling as the screw starts to yield then finally comes out!








No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...