Tuesday, August 30, 2022

front axle

 Today I made spacers in aluminium (which encircle the stub axles, fitting between the bearings), which stop the bearings sliding towards each other in the hubs when the wheels are secured on the axle. Initially I made a mistake. I cut some spacers the same length as those that I took out of the wheel when it arrived with different bearings in it, but presumably because they also had seals, they were set closer together. My next set was half a millimeter too short, but I figure that will be ok. If needs be, I can use a shim on the outside.

Assembled, the front axle with its 2mm walled, 40mm tube feels like a dumbbell. My car is going to be heavy! But at least it does look like a car!










No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...