Tuesday, July 5, 2022

tank nose cone

Not quite sure this is going to work; this one may be a practice run. But I have been making the nose cone for my fuel tank. Currently it looks more bowl shaped than conical, but I still need to raise the centre. 

This afternoon I cut up an old copper boiler and then mullered a sheet by bashing it into a small divot in the earth, then into a divot in a wooden block, before annealing it with a propane torch, then wheeling it. I annealed 4 times throughout the afternoon to keep the copper workable, otherwise it becomes work-hardened.




To pull the sides down and tighten the material I used my shrinker, which used to be manual until I turned it into a treadle tool during lockdown, meaning that now I can sit in front of it and manipulate the work, while operating the shrinker/stretcher with my right foot.

My roundest wheeling anvil is a little large and its radius may not be quite tight enough.     We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...