Wednesday, March 13, 2024

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template using my rear scuttle and scribed the lines on to my front scuttle, then cut the shape, leaving a margin for a wire edge.

In traditional wire edge forming methods, a wire or metal strip is placed along the edge of the sheet metal panel. The panel is then folded over the wire, creating a double-layered edge. The wire or metal strip acts as a reinforcement and helps to maintain the shape of the fold. It also gives a pleasing, soft-form shape and means that it can be handled without a risk of being cut.

I was taught this by the legendary Geoff Moss's apprentice about ten years ago and have never before had occasion to use if in anger. On tight bends it was necessary to both stretch and shrink the aluminium, which made it a bit tricky. I got one tiny tear, which was a shame, but I couldn't anneal the material because the wire I used was plastic coated. On the whole, not bad for a first attempt at the method.





In the photo below, the shape of the front cockpit pretty faithfully reproduces the original's



The front scuttle of the original, 1910 (above)


The wire edge is most apparent in the photo below. Sitting in the cockpit, I was relieved to find that my hands had plenty of clearance and that the wire edge meant that my hands never rub against anything sharp. The steering wheel is discreetly shrouded, so that the rear driver's steering wheel will be the only one seen.










No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...