Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Stub Axles

On Jim Tanner's recommendation, because my axle is going to have some unusual forces on it (with its sliding pillar and steering all on one point), I have up-rated my axle to a 40mm CDS tube, but that creates its own problems for how I am going to fix my Gemini stub axles in it. I may solve it all just by fitting a shaft collar (plug welded to the stub axle's spigot), then butt-weld straight to the side of the tube, as the collar with the 25mm inside diameter has an outside diameter of 40mm.

In the meantime, however, Gemini has been waiting an inordinate amount of time for their machinist supplier to deliver their stub axles, so I will have to concentrate on other things, myself.



(Gemini Karts' picture)
1 x 70 mm shaft with a 25 mm dia x 35 mm spigot with 20mm of 1/2″ unf thread and nyloc nut


(Plug weld of collar to spigot not shown)

Note to self. You can get a split collar with a 17mm ID and an OD of 36. Weld this on the right hand side of the spigot, inserted inside the axle, with the 25/40 collar welded to the outside of the tube!

If Gemini are unable to get a supply, get someone to turn a thread on to some 17mm stock (if it exists?) and weld a couple of 17/36 collars on and insert both (spaced out) inside  the tube and cross bolt, as on original car.


No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...