Wednesday, September 21, 2022

almost an engineer

This week I have been cutting, centering, drilling and tapping - making uprights for supporting my rear axle, fitting bushes and bearings, assembling axles, fitting circlips, etc.

Big thanks to my old mate and former teaching colleague, John, for turning some "top-hats" which reduce the 16mm holes in my bearing castings to M10s. I then used them to find my centres in two steel uprights I prepared earlier (after I'd welded them together so that they could be drilled and tapped together for consistency).

My live axle will have its bearings fitted, and then the axle can be dropped in and bolted whenever needed. This enables me to transport the kart with wheels off, as it won't go through our gate with them fitted!














My workshop floor is very uneven, so I have been levelling the kart (on piles of paper), then standing the wheels over it, making sure that they are inflated equally, lifting one wheel until it is level, then endlessly re-levelling and measuring. Tomorrow morning I am welding the supports into place, then un-bolting the bearings.







No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...