Saturday, November 19, 2022

new spring fitted - progress

The great news is that once everything settles, with me in the car, it is more or less level using a monoshock spring! Lucy and I both noticed the car dip about 1/2", but when measured front and back the rails seemed to be the same distance from the ground at the extremes. There is a discrepancy in the middle, which is a bit odd, but may be due to changes in the section between steel and aluminium. If it isn't the case that the new spring has solved the problem, shims should correct any error. I may just have to live with it, if this can't be so. Still, it IS encouraging progress.

My fundamental error was in not realising that the driver of the original Bedelia was more of a counterweight to the rest of the car, being over the rear axle, even with the engine at the very front. Mine will be lot less skippy at the nose, which is good, but it does mean that the weight is further forwards, generally, so that the spring has to work harder if the car is to be level.


With the new spring being very firm -pushing up to the top of the nose structure and down to the front axle-, there is a lot of friction at these two points, making steering a lot harder. I think I may need some taper bearings, and to treat this a little like the headstock of a motorcycle. I wondered if I could get away with one bearing race at the top of the spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...