Sunday, November 20, 2022

Thrust bearings

 


I reached out on the Cyclekart UK forum and Chris Brown came back with the solution. I need needle roller thrust washers sandwiched between washers between the spring's bottom and the steering box. I don't think I need a bearing at the top of the spring, as this will not then be rotating. 

I need to get bearings where the internal diameter is as close as possible (bigger than) the diameter of the sliding pillar, which is 20mm, and wide enough that its washers (with the same ID) sit beneath the spring. So far, the closest I have seen is a 20/35, but ideally, I need a bigger set - if needs be, with a bush to take up slack in the internal diameter.

This is an exciting development, so big thanks to Chris. The bearings are capable of turning even under a static load/force of more than 50NM, which is equal to 5 tonnes! Is that really possible? Its static load is 14 NM, or just over a tonne! Such numbers make me wonder if I got this all wrong!

Anyway, these bearings should mean smoother running steering, despite the force of the all-up-weight on the spring, which in turn is standing on the steering box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

wiring the cockpit leading edge

The shape of the front dash on the rear scuttle is replicated on the front dash of the front scuttle on the original, so I made a template u...